Sunday, August 1, 2010

Rapid Reaction to the Sunoco Red Cross Pennsylvania 500 from Pocono Raceway

- Can I first say I still don’t like Pocono. Its’ too long of a race, and just plain boring.
At the track, I went in 2000, it wasn't so bad. I was totally ok missing parts of the race for a family function. On that note, I do like that with my Droid X I could keep track of things so I’d seem sort of intelligent today.

- Another quick house keeping item, I want to expand on something I touched on earlier this week. With Bobby Labonte, I got off topic, and I hope at some point he realizes he has the ability to be the first, maybe only, person to win the championship in all three top series. He got the two hardest out of the way, cap your career right with a Truck championship. Only Greg Biffle is poised to complete it, but he has to get a Cup title and I don’t see that happening.

- Elliott Sadler: I’m not suggesting there was a connection between posting that picture of him out clubbing’ and nearly dying in today’s race….but it makes you think.
Enter me trying to find a picture of Jimmie Johnson clubbing. But on a serious note, it is great to see drivers get out of cars after wrecks like that with nothing more than the wind knocked out of them. We’ve come a long way in nine years since Dale Earnhardt, which is light years from Neil Bonnett and J.D. McDuffie back in the 1990s.

- I hate to admit it, but good to see Ford in victory lane for the first time this year. Not sure why they fell so far off, but if they just want this one we can have Chevys, er, Chevrolet win on out. This is why in the end Jimmie Johnson winning isn’t as bad as it could be.

- Like the call by Sam Hornish, Jr’s team to try and steal one. Why not? What else do they got going on over there? Almost scored him a second place finish had his tires held up.

- The announcers got it right, Jeff Gordon has to be so sick of having the car to beat and not having the wins to show for it. I keep joking with Greg that he’s washed up, but that cat is scoring top 5’s and top 10’s left and right. Annoying part is I bet he gets a win, but cheaply, i.e. rain or fuel mileage versus dominating.

- Speaking of the announcers, check out Bump Draft and you’ll notice a great post by someone named “Michael.” I know what you’re thinking, and yes, that’s me, I get around. But more so, some great points from other fans that under score what I usually complain about. Are these guys terrible? No, not yet, we’re not talking TNT levels here, but they’re not, well, good. Room for improvement, and if ESPN needs my resume I’ll be more than happy to fax one over.

- Back to winner Biffle, he’s compiled a pretty good career while very silently doing that,
minus when Kevin Harvick almost beat him up. That was his 15th Cup win, has 20 Nationwide and Truck wins, plus a championship in each of those divisions.

- Another good run for Harvick, soon to be Budweiser spokesman. I think that’s a heck of a better fit that Kasey Kahne for them. Harvick looks like a beer drinker, Kahne I assume drinks mojitos when’s he prowling the town with Elliott Sadler.

- With this weekend in the books, I’m excited for Watkins Glen and to do some real time blogging. If you haven’t heard, I’ll be posting updates all day from the track. It’ll be like I’m a real NASCAR reporter or something, so keep checking it all day Saturday and Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment