Wednesday, August 18, 2010

News and Notes – August 18, 2010

Announced yesterday Kevin Harvick will officially have sponsorship in 2011 by Budweiser. That’s good, as noted earlier by myself, it’s a good fit in sponsor and driver. The downside? Well for one, Budweiser will only be on the car for 20 races. Now I know that it takes a lot, I can’t stress that enough, a lot of money to run a Cup car now a days. But call me old fashion because I liked the old days where teams had one sponsor, maybe a few special paint schemes along the way. What would you like to see, #29 Kevin Harvick Budweiser Chevrolet or #29 Kevin Harvick Budweiser/Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups/Rheem Water Heaters/Realtree Camouflage Chevrolet presented by Brawny Hand Towels. Just saying…And it’s not just Harvick and Budweiser, but DuPont is bowing out from primary sponsorship of Jeff Gordon. Again, they’ll be there, but at a reduced level. What’s happening!? Back to Harvick,
I don’t like the paint scheme, and it has to do with the number. The number is the first thing you see, draws your eyes, which should the sponsor be pulling your eyes? I’m not going to go looking for some 12 packs of 29 Beer? No, I need to be drawn to Budweiser. Need to re-do the number font to something similar to Ken Schrader’s Budweiser car.

Also happening at Richard Childress Racing Paul Menard is bring his lack luster driving “talent” and father’s deep pockets there. Listen, I like the guy, that annoying yellow draws me in like a fly to a light, but he’s been racing NASCAR for seven years now with one win (Nationwide in 2006). Of all the drivers who use family ties to get to this level (think Eric McClure, Brent Sherman, and John Wes Townley) he’s the best. With that line up not sure how much of a compliment it is for him. Maybe he gets with RCR and does awesome next year, I’d be ok eating my words, but my gut is telling me another subpar season awaits.

Our flashback of the week brings us to Jocko Maggiacomo. This driver out of Poughkeepsie, NY ran 23 cup races over a ten year span. Still laughing about the name? What isn’t a laughing matter is why you might know him. He would be the driver who damn near killed Bobby Allison in 1988, but with a name like that, how can you stay mad?

Marcos Ambrose moves to the number 9 car for Richard Petty Motorsports which, as reported earlier by myself, is a great move to make himself top dingo. I can’t wait to see what he can do in this situation.

Finally found Speed Channel for the Truck race tonight, so far, very impressed. Got to see the Whelen Modified race before this, made even better by my boy Ryan Newman winning. Modifieds are what I grew up on and I’m glad Speed takes the time to show them. Hopefully more people get into them. Was hoping former Roush Racing castaway Chuck Hossfeld would have done better, but maybe Jack knows something I don’t know. As for the Truck race, hasn’t started yet but very impressed with the coverage. Anytime you can have Ray Dunlap report for you, good times will be had. Some cool pre-race specials such as a flashback moment and question of the week for the drivers. And pleasantly surprised by Krista Voda’s contribution, did a great job and should be included in the Cup series coverage somehow, and Krista if you’re reading this…congratulations on your recent marriage…sigh.

Kasey Kahne to team Red Bull was an interesting move, but makes the most sense. Don’t have to court a sponsor for him, it’s a competitive team, and he fits their image which they can exploit for a year. What doesn’t make sense about this whole thing (spoiler alert it isn’t Mark Martin staying for another season) it’s that Dale Earnhardt, Jr. is there for another year. I know he’s a sponsorship cash cow (think more popular Paul Menard) but has been turning in subpar performances for over three years now (think Paul Menard again). How many chances can this guy get and continue to show he’s no good (think Paul Menard again…again)? I’m pretty sure unless everyone crashes, he won’t win again. He doesn’t have it, he had it when he first came into Cup, he just lost it. The Kyle Petty gene hit him hard and early, a flame out wasn’t planned until about five years from now.

Morgan-McClure Motorsports returned from the dead this weekend to try and get into the Bristol race. I’m sure their four fans are really excited about this. Sense some bitterness? Yeah, there’s some, well A LOT! I followed them in the early 1990s when Kodak sponsored them. My father worked at Kodak so it was a perfect car to follow with that connection. But they got cocky and thought since it worked in 1991, it’ll work in 2001, not paying attention that time and technology changes. So they ran that sponsorship into the ground, and I blame for running out of the sport after a few decent years with Penske, the damage had already been done. Flash to 2003, they had young up and coming driver Johnny Sauter drive their car. Sign him! Sign him! Nope, they didn’t, he goes to RCR, fired within 20 races. The next year (Kodak sponsorship gone) they have Kevin Lepage, fire him, then Johnny is available, what do they do? Jimmy Spencer, sure, why not? I’m sure he’s not old, washed up, terrible, smelly, old, not good, old, terrible, crash prone, old, or anything else. Good decision, wouldn’t change a thing. At least Larry McClure got his after getting sent to Federal prison, imagine that, the Federal government doesn’t like it when you don’t pay taxes, what a concept.

Now I’m angry, let me continue ranting. Rumors fly about a Nationwide chase proposal. Spoiler alert, WORST IDEA EVER! How will that “fix” this series? So now a Cup driver can miss races, if he’s in the top 10, bam, in the chase still can win. Here’s my proposal, cap the number of Cup drivers in each race, then cap the number of races they can make in a year. You sign something at the beginning of the year that you’re main series will be the Cup series, then you pick your races, first come, first served, or better yet have them send in their entries and again first come first served. That’s what you do, don’t further make this into Cup Series light. There already is a Cup Lite Series, and I have a feeling NASCAR is going to find a way to goo that up too.

Alright, Truck race just started, which is awesome, where else can you see Magnum P.I. cover the pits during a NASCAR race? Only on Speed baby! Ray Dunlap left, Magnum P.I. right, you tell me they're not the same person.

No comments:

Post a Comment