Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Where’s Start ‘N’ Park?

Many of you have been wondering if we at Start ‘N’ Park made like our name, came out strong, then mailed it in for the check. True we’ve been a little quiet, but we’re cooking up some good items for you. But don’t be sad, I’ll touch on a few topics here now.

I can honestly say I did not get to watch most of the last race, so I couldn’t do any sort of recap that did it justice. I will say great run by Jamie McMurray and crew, and way to prove that Daytona 500 win wasn’t a fluke. It also reaffirmed that there is no real “Earnhardt” at Earnhardt-Ganassi Racing. Heck, I saw more of Felix Sabates that ghost owner Teresa Earnhardt. I don’t even associate that with being any remains of Dale Earnhardt Inc, and that’s sad because Dale Earnhardt built that into an empire just to have it crumble after he died. My proposal is that they just get rid of the “Earnhardt” in the name, Chip and Felix should just give Teresa a big check (like she needs another) and send her on her merry way.

Official, Bobby Labonte will drive the #47 Toyota next year for JTG Daugherty Racing next year. I like the move, the team has shown the ability to run up front. I believe I’m in the minority of people who thinks, if given a good car, Bobby Labonte can still race. Will he win? No, but I’m thinking he’ll collect a good number of top 10s next year. Well, he certainly can’t do any worse than this year. This all came to light because Marcos Ambrose. He took them as far as he could take them, and if the rumors are true, him heading to Richard Petty Motorsports, he’ll become the alpha dog. The best thing for RPM is to scale down to a two car team, maybe three if Paul Menard and his dad’s deep pockets want to stay. What’s the old motto? Less is more, and in racing that is the case. I think this team has stretched itself too thin the last few years just trying to keep four entries out there. Bring back AJ Allmendinger, maybe Menard and I stress maybe, and this could be a sleeper team out there.

With that in mind, unlike ESPN’s Marty Smith, I don’t believe Elliott Sadler has anything left in the tank. Not at the Cup level anyways. Here’s where I wish drivers who are almost too old would move down series, preferred the Camping World Truck Series. Best case is the dominate and win races, might not be paying the same as Cup, but at this point it shouldn’t be about the money. Remember when Mark Martin said he’d stop running Cup for the Trucks (ah, NASCAR's Brett Favre), then dominated the year before? That sort of thing. At what point is running at the back any fun? Bobby Hamilton showed that before he died, run the truck series and have fun. While re-reading this I realized I had gotten away from my original point of doing some Elliott Sadler bashing. Well, since pictures are worth a thousand words, here's a good one. And I thought he just looked goofy racing, I stand corrected.

You want to fix the Nationwide Series? Well, make it what it originally was, it’s own series! More stand alone races will discourage drivers from running both series. Any track that can’t get a Cup race should get the Nationwide and they should use that to reach all sorts of tracks, you know, like how it used to be?

I can understand if you just got stuck at the Sadler picture and can't stop laughing, but remember, you can always go back.

That sets me up for my last rant; Brian France wants to tinker with the Chase for the Cup again. During his reign he has done everything to appease casual fans and sponsors/people with money. All you have to do is go back to your core product to make ratings better, have people come out, and just produce something worth giving a crap about. I like NASCAR because it’s NOT football, baseball, hockey, or basketball. Stop trying to make it that way with this stupid playoff system. Ask the drivers what they like, everyone but Jimmie Johnson would say one point systems all year long. But alas, Brian France would rather line his already deep pockets but selling out the fans that made this sport what it is. Apparently he went through the same schooling as Teresa Earnhardt. Any irony in that he looks like a funeral director?

One last point, pending Verizon Wireless screwing up my order, I should have my brand new Droid X in the next few days. How does that benefit you? Well, there will be more posts and blogs because of it! Exciting, I know, and it will specifically be around Watkins Glen. Since I am going to the Saturday and Sunday festivities I plan on posting as much as I can to keep you all informed to what you’re missing. Joining me on the trip will be good friend Matt Bush (Jimmie Johnson fan), my father Kevin (Kevin Harvick fan), and an unnamed fourth person. So keep your eyes peeled for that in a few weeks, August 7th and 8th.

No comments:

Post a Comment