Saturday, July 10, 2010

Rapid Reaction: Chicagoland

Rapid Reaction to the LifeLock.com 400 from Chicagoland Speedway.

- The TNT coverage does not bother me personally. I have an Article planned to discuss the various networks that cover NASCAR (Fox, ESPN, Speed, and TNT). What does bother me is Phil Parsons. His driving career was annoying and now his pit reporting career is more annoying. Why? Because instead of ignoring him driving (as in not looking at race results from 30th on back), I’ve got to hear him during the races. Most of the time he provides information that shows no insight of someone on pit road but of someone watching the race on TV. I have no proof, but my theory is just before halfway he goes for a hot dog and soda break and keeps tabs on a TV in the infield. And what’s with the monotone voice? You’d think from listening to him he’s in line at the DMV and not in pit road during a race. That’s my take while looking past his start and park (thanks for the name idea) team that is undermining the integrity of NASCAR. Thus going forward he will simply be referred to as PP.

- I do support the use of hot females such as Lindsay Czarniak (TNT) and Nicole Briscoe (ESPN). Makes me want to actually watch the pre-race shows. Side note, if you’re reading this Lindsay you can reach me at MMetzger28@gmail.com, you should definitely send me a message.

- It was good to see Jimmie Johnson have some mental mistakes (missing pit road on a green flag pits stop) and have some bad luck (spun and then had a tire go down to brush the wall and lose two laps). He is human…or someone spilt water on him and it shorted his circuits.

- On lap 163, my boy PP pointed out that David Ragan needed a good run and was having it. My bet is on him fading and finishing between 25th and 35th. How good am I? He finished 12th, I guess I won’t give up my day job just yet.

- Jeff Gordon running upfront reminds me of how much I hated him in the ‘90s for winning so much. Then about two years ago my opinion flipped. I reviewed his stats and I wanted to him to do good again (win races and championships) so I can witness history. Jimmie Johnson’s domination doesn’t count as he’s on my hate list. Maybe in the coming years I’ll get over it and appreciate it as well….nah, screw Johnson. And yes, I know what I just said.

- Side jump to Nationwide, saw Danica Patrick had a 24th place finish and people were jumping up and down for her. Well get used to it, that’s about what she’ll do with more experience or not. She’s a good driver, not bad, but not great. Not to mention a ton of pressure on her so anything she does short of winning every weekend will be disappointment.

- And now a word from our sponsors…The ads for Sorcerer’s Apprentice painfully reminds me that Nicholas Cage should stop acting, or whatever it is you’d call what he does. Annoying at first those Aflac commercials with the duck I now enjoy. Now if they could only do a cross over where the Aflac Duck eats the GEICO lizard. What is annoying is those Ford commercials where the post the words to the script Dennis Leary is reading. We can hear you idiots, and if we didn’t I’m sure we’d have closed captioning. Ballsy too since I didn’t picture the Ford trucks demographic being people who can read. Finally, Coors Light reminds me that beer = good.

- 10:10 PM Greg says he’s a closet David Reutimann fan. It wasn’t what I expected him to be in the closet for, but close enough. On a serious note I would like to see him pull out a win tonight or sometime to get him out of the “Fluke Winners” list. Such notables as Casey Mears, Ron Bouchard, and PP himself.

- Wally Dallenbach, Jr. and Kyle Petty prove that bad drivers can be good at something. Somewhere Ward Burton and Loy Allen, Jr. are high fiving. Side note, I give Kyle credit, I thought he’d race forever like Morgan Shepherd, except in the Cup series and with his left blinker on. Side note number two, I got to watch in person Ward win the 2002 Daytona 500, or as historians would later call it, the worst Daytona 500 ever.

- What is Office Depot doing? It’s July! This is not the time for a back to school paint scheme!

- If Robby Gordon didn’t have bad luck, I’m pretty sure he’d have no luck at all. That’s what would cause one to slam into a parked car. A Robby fan, I did want Bill Elliott to try and throw down in fisticuffs with Robby. Robby’s scrappy, but I think Elliott would take him.

- Scott Speed’s one I’m pulling for to get consistent with his finishes, here again running 19th and spins coming into the pits.

- With four laps to go Kyle Petty does his best to yell “JINX” without saying it about David Reutimann leading. Was interesting to hear Wally Dallenbach, Jr. talk about winning, let me look up how many Cup wins he has….oh, nevermind.

- Our Top 10 and others of interest, David Reutimann (Greg’s closet boy), Carl Edwards, Jeff Gordon (Greg’s out of the closet boy), Clint Bowyer, Jamie McMurray, Kasey Kahne, Jeff Burton, Denny Hamlin, Tony Stewart, and Paul Menard. My boy Ryan Newman puttered home in 22nd and superstar Joe Nemechek shockingly finished 43rd.

- I approve on this win by David Reutimann, he’s not only a good driver but a good guy who deserved a break and got it from Michael Waltrip. Happy for the team too, they’ve come a long way in three years. Now Reutimann just needs one more win to elevate him from Derrike Cope status.

- The Sprint Cup Series might have a week off, but keep checking here for updates as we never have weeks off.

No comments:

Post a Comment