Sunday, September 26, 2010

September 26, 2010 News and Notes

So obviously posting once a week was a challenge neither Greg nor I thought would be, well, a challenge. But here we are, live and learn. So let me quickly bang (haha) something out for y’all to enjoy.

Kudos to Kevin Harvick for standing up to the dumb words of Denny Hamlin. Outside of some digs about Dale Earnhardt, I don’t think he could have done more to draw the ire of Richard Childress Racing. If they’re fighting to be in the Chase, why would they knowingly cheat? I’m going to go with RCR on this one, even though their appeal will probably fail. I don’t think they’d cheat, but I also don’t like Denny Hamlin.

In between watching the Bills vs Patriots I was able to watch parts of today’s race. What I saw was confusing and repetitive. AJ Allmendinger leading for over 100 was the confusing, and repetitive was Jimmie Johnson getting a win/turning into high gear for yet another championship. Can’t wait to call him the five time champ, that won’t be annoying at all.

Glad ESPN narrowed it down to only paying attention to 12 drivers during Cup coverage. I’m sure no one else on the track matters except for the Chase drivers. And commercial with 15 to go? Really? Jack hole move ESPN. Last coverage blast, interviewing Danica Patrick after she finished only 98 or so laps down? Again, really? I did like her responses, which were honest and better than I thought they’d be. You barely found time for the fifth place driver in Reed Sorenson, but of course had 10 minutes blocked off for her. Like Brett Favre, the media is making me hate another athlete. Well, no, Favre is just a massive tool, nevermind.

Speaking of annoying, I am very curious about the new Burger King breakfast, but those commercials, almost turning me away. I would gladly buy whatever garbage you are serving if you just stop with the weird looking people sort of not really signing about Burger King. Outside of when Crisco sponsored Jimmy Spencer, has there ever been such a perfect marriage of driver and sponsor like Tony Stewart and Burger King. When I used to (for like a month) race online I once did the Tony Stewart pregame. That being wolfing down a Whopper, fries, and drink during practice. I did not win, I do believe someone crashed into me, because it’s never my fault, right Greg?

With online racing, my career was brief and annoying because I wasn’t that good, but I wouldn’t throw in the towel like my team was run by Phil Parsons. I ran until the end hoping I’d get better because I just invested so much time I’m not going to just quit and move on. I still don’t understand the mental side to starting and parking. As a driver I can see how it keeps your name out there, but you go two laps and you’re done. Unless everyone is on the Kevin Conway, which means hitting on daughters/wives/mothers of other drivers, not worth it. Financially doing it in Cup makes sense, not so much Nationwide.

Reviewing old Nationwide races, there have been starters and parkers forever, so in theory we shouldn’t be too much in arms about it. Also from reviewing the old races, they did enough races away from Cup that alone discouraged the Cup drivers from racing all season. Sure one or two might dabble, but you also have to notice that few Cup teams had Nationwide teams in the 80s and 90s. Thus they relied on their own full time drivers to race, and maybe a few teams would have a Cup driver every now and then. Which I enjoyed seeing the Nationwide (well at the time Busch) versions of cars like Michael Waltrip’s #30 Pennzoil Pontiac, Bill Elliott’s #11 Budweiser Ford, Dale Earnhardt’s #3 GM Goodwrench Chevrolet, Ernie Irvan’s #4 Kodak Film Chevrolet, and so on.

Congrats to Austin Dillon for proving once again, talent skips a generation. Just look at Mike Dillon’s stats, terrible.

Well that’s all I can think of right now, so I’ll turn my efforts to badgering Greg to post something this week until he does or snaps and punches me at work. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment